Power House Science Kit (Alternative Model Energy Home)
The Power House Science Kit (alternative model energy home) is a great tool for providing children with an engaging introduction to regenerative energy sources while teaching basic concepts and principles in physical science. This green science kit focuses on the heat and light energy from the sun, and the energy from the wind, as well as electrochemical and plant energy. With this educational science kit, kids will learn how to transform and use these forms of energy. With the Power House Science kit children can build a model house complete with solar panels, windmill, greenhouse, and desalination system. The kit allows young scientists to build and operate an electric train, windmill, solar cooker, solar hot water tank, hygrometer, electric motor, power hoist, sail car, and more! Plant watercress, prepare sauerkraut, and make chewing gum. Learn how plants convert sunlight into energy for the body and its functions. The possibilities are endless! Kids will spend hours using this amazing green science kit to conduct 70 different science experiments and 20 different building projects.
The thoughtfully designed series of experiments in this children’s science kit was developed by physicist Uwe Wandrey. Professor Wandrey creatively integrates physical science and technology lessons with the adventure of building a home and living on a remote island to create fun and engaging experiments for young scientists. To survive on the island, you must learn how to harness the power of the sun and the wind as well as tap the energy of other physical forces. The storyline follows the experiments in a stepwise fashion and makes it even more fun for kids to learn about these experiments. Easy-to-follow activities make it an adventure to build models and use them for different experiments. The creator’s idea is that building small models such as are provided in the Power House Science Kit, will inspire kids to plan and construct something on a larger scale in the future. An Adventure in Sustainable Living, The Power House Experiment Manual goes beyond simply being a set of instructions to provide a true learning experience for children. The manual is organized around the story of a group of island dwellers who must learn to live sustainably using the resources available to them on their small island. As kids read their journal entries and learn of their projects and experiments, they build models of the same projects and conduct the same experiments alongside them. With this detailed description kids feel like they are on the island with the island dwellers working right along with them on these projects. Introduce kids to the engaging and exciting world of regenerative energy with the Power House Science Kit (alternative model energy home).
The Power House Science kit includes a 96-page full color manual with 70 experiments and 20 building projects, organized into these chapters:
1. The Heat Trap: Construct and experiment with a greenhouse.
2. The Sun Collector: Collect the sun‘s rays to heat water.
3. The Sun Burners: Make a solar cooker while learning about the principles of light before you cook rice and bake bread.
4. The Water Vampire: Desalinate water, plant watercress, produce sauerkraut and make chewing gum.
5. The Heat Absorbers: Learn how heat of evaporation provides cooling, conduct experiments about air humidity, build a hygrometer and test a refrigerator.
6. Power Plants: Grow beans, make a potted plant feed a candle, harvest sunflower energy, build an oil press, and assemble an oil lamp.
7. The Energy Converters: Extract electric current from sunlight and metals in acid, build a light telephone, galvanize a nail and split water into hydrogen and oxygen.
8. The Forces of Magnetism: Generate electric current with magnetic fields. Build a current indicator, electric and solar motors, a transfer switch, and a crane. Lift pencils with the sun and learn about levers. Build an electric car.
9. Wings in the Wind: Build a sail car and learn how wings and sails transform energy. Learn to sail with the wind, by the wind, and against the wind and examine a mixed energy vehicle.
This all inclusive Power House Science Kit includes: foam house and plastic greenhouse parts • frame • base • wood glue • solar panel • compass • wire • LED (light emitting diode) • sunflower and watercress seeds • battery holder • small light bulb and holder • solar motor • magnifying glass • propellers, iron core • ring magnet • thermometer • test tube holder • measuring beaker • sand paper • copper foil • zinc plate • wire mesh • many small parts such as paper clips • screws • clips • lead sinker • washers • wing nuts • iron powder • wires • tubing • rubber bands • yarn • wooden components • cutouts for devices • and full color, illustrated 96 page Experiment Manual with 70 experiments and 20 building activities.
Overall Size of house: 15" x 10" x 10"
Recommended for Ages 12 and up.